Responsibilities of the Dissertation Director:
- Director must contact Assistant to the Graduate Director to prepare the "Accept for Defense" paperwork.
- Director should ensure that all signatures are obtained for the "Accept for Defense" form.
- Director (with the Assistant to the Graduate Director) schedule a date and time for the defense.
- Director obtains two CUA faculty members outside of STRS to serve as Chair and Secretary of Defense Committee. (Assistant to Graduate Director will provide assistance if needed)
Responsibilities of the Student:
- Students must register via Cardinal Station for one of the following courses:
- Dissertation Guidance (STD) - 996A
- Dissertation Guidance (PhD) - 996B
- Student must prepare and provide information needed for doctoral dissertation leaflet to the Assistant to the Graduate Director. Information needed includes:
- Dissertation Title
- Summary of Coursework
- Biographical Information
- Names of Doctoral Board Members
- If the student wants outside guests to attend dissertation defense, he/she must obtain permission from the STRS Dean (up to five guests allowed) Please note that guests are not allowed inside the oral defense itself, however, guests are allowed to celebrate with the doctoral candidate after the defense.
- Student must obtain signatures of the Directors and Readers on Signature Page.
- Student must obtain signature of STRS Dean on the "Permission to Publish" form available from the Office of Graduate Studies.
- Student must apply for graduation for the semester they intend to defend.
Responsibilities of the Assistant to the Director for Graduate Programs:
- Assistant to the Graduate Director prepares the "Oral Examination Request" Form.
- Assistant to the Graduate Director will assist in securing a Chair and Secretary for the defense if needed.
- Assistant to the Graduate Director acquires signatures from the STRS Dean, Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies for the "Oral Examination Request" form.
- Assistant to the Graduate Director prepares the confidential report of the "Secretary of the Board on Oral Examination" form.
- Assistant to the Graduate Director prepares the "Doctoral Defense Card".
- Assistant to the Graduate Director prepares and posts the dissertation leaflet.
- Assistant to the Graduate Director makes 13 copies of the dissertation leaflet.
- Assistant to the Graduate Director distributes the dissertation leaflet to the following:
- Student File
- Doctoral Committee
- Doctoral Board
- Office of Graduate Studies
Deposit of Thesis:
- Student must contact the Office of Graduate Studies prior to the defense date to receive signature and deposit packet.
- Student must contact the Office of Graduate Studies to arrange for a preview and prospective deposit date.
- Coordinator of Graduate Studies will issue to the student a receipt for deposit.
- Deposit date is the official date the student has satisfied all requirements for his/her degree.
Video: The Dissertation Defense
UMI Dissertation Publishing